Monday, September 5, 2011

The Most Important Reason I Do Not Want To Sin

"So whether we are at home or away, we make it our aim to please him..."For the love of Christ controls us, because we have concluded this: that one has died for all, therefore all have died; and he died for all, that those who live might no longer live for themselves but for him who for their sake died and was raised."
2 Corinthians 5:9,14-15 ESV

I have thought allot lately why I don't desire to sin. What is the most God-honoring reason not to sin? Is it fear of consequences? Is it fear of punishment? John Calvin says, "the truly pious mind restrains itself from sinning, not out of dread of punishment alone; but, because it-loves and reveres God as Father, it worships and adores him as Lord. Even if there were no hell, it would still shudder at offending him alone"

I am so very moved by this statement! Listen carefully again: "Even if there were no hell, it would still shudder at offending him alone." This thought compels me to ask: What accounts for my obedience to God? Why do I fear sinning? Is it merely because I know that discipline awaits me if I don't obey but rather persist in sin? Is there nothing in God besides his wrath that awakens me to holiness? Am I more concerned about negative consequences and bad feelings than pleasing Him? Am I motivated to seek righteousness for purely personal gain? Is self-interest at the core of my decision to heed his commands?

On one level there is nothing wrong with seeking to avoid judgment and the pains of hell. But should that by itself account for how we live? I think that the root of holiness is being in love with Jesus! Paul says in 2 Corinthians 5:14-15, "For the love of Christ controls us, because we have concluded this: that one has died for all, therefore all have died; and he died for all, that those who live might no longer live for
themselves but for him who for their sake died and was raised."

For Paul the love of Christ evokes self-restraint and service and reverence and worship and adoration. Calvin asks, "Were there no hell, he says, should we still not find him worthy of our devotion?" Is there not something beyond the prospect of judgment alone that energizes our hearts to adore him and our wills to obey him and our affections to delight in? Yes, says Calvin! The truly pious soul "loves and reveres God as Father" and "worships and adores him as Lord" irrespective of all other factors." God's intrinsic and inherent beauty, his glory as Father, and his power as Lord ought to be sufficient to stir our hearts to love and admire and worship him as it did for Paul."

N.P. Williams said, "The ordinary man may feel ashamed of doing wrong: but the saint, endowed with a superior refinement of moral
sensibility, and keener powers of introspection, is ashamed of being the kind of man who is liable to do wrong" That is what happens when
we love God.

I think an excellent illustration of this is recorded in the autobiography of the great missionary to Vanuatu in the South Pacific, John Paton. He records of the day of his parting from his beloved father to go off on the mission field.

My dear father walked with me the first six miles of the way. His counsel and tears on that part ing journey are fresh in my heart as if it had been yesterday. Tears are on my cheeks as freely now as then. For the last half mile we walked in almost unbroken silence, my father, as was often his custom, carrying his hat in hand, his long, flowing yellow hair streaming down his shoulders. His lips kept moving in silent prayers for me, and his tears fell fast when our eyes met. We halted upon reaching the appointed parting place. He grasped my hand firmly for a minute in silence, and then solemnly and affectionately said, "God bless you, my son! Your father's God prosper you, and keep you from all evil. Unable to say more, his lips kept moving in si lent prayer. In tears we embraced, and parted. I ran off as fast as I could. When about to turn a corner in the road where he would lose sight of me, I looked back and saw him still standing with head uncovered where I had left him. Waving my hat goodbye, I was 'round the corner and out of sight in an instant.. But my heart was too full and sore to carry me farther, so I darted to the side of the road and wept for a time. Rising up cautiously, I climbed the dyke to see if he yet stood where I had left him. Just at that moment I caught a glimpse of him climbing the dyke and looking out for me! He did not see me, and after he had gazed eagerly in my direction for a while, he got down, turned his face toward home, and began to return. I watched through blinding tears till his form faded from my gaze.

Now listen to and feel the emotion of John Paton as he reflected on this precious and most moving moment. It graphically and poignantly illustrates what I am trying to say:

Hastening on my way, I vowed deeply and often to live and act so as never to grieve or dishonor such a father and mother as God had given me.

What a father John Paton had! The feelings Paton had for his father were a deep reflection of his fathers greatness as a father. I never had the privilege of having a loving father like this. But oh does this story evoke in me feelings and thoughts that I have a precious and most wonderful Father in heaven! Ought this response that Paton felt be not all the more to be true of our relationship with God? Is he not infinitely deserving of glory and praise and honor and obedience for who he is, in himself, even before we consider what he will do should we fail to respond as we ought? Do you "shudder at offending him"? Oh that we would vow deeply and often to live and act so as never to grieve or dishonor such a father like our Father in heaven! Oh, that we would see what a loving Father He is that His love would constrain us not to sin!

Seeking to bring God nothing but glory and to live a life pleasing to Him,
Pastor Bill

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Really I don't know a believer who wants to sin. James says "But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed. Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death."
The enemy knows our weak places, and is relentless. We must be on our faces before the Lord, crying out for the mercy of Jesus to 'deliver us from the evil one.'
If we do this, He will come through and deliver us!