Monday, May 31, 2010

LESSONS ON GOD'S PURPOSES WHILE DOING YARDWORK

"My Father is working until now, and I am working."John 5:17

"We know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28

"It is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure," Philippians 2:13

The yard was driving me crazy. The front and back hedges were overgrown, the branches from some of my plants were hanging over the walkway. The grass was getting to high. The fallen leaves were all over the driveway and back yard. I knew how beautiful the yard could be. I pictured a well cut and even hedges, a neatly mowed lawn, clear walkways, clean patio, trimmed bushes, and a yard ready for the center fold of Better Homes and Gardens magazine.

So with this vision in my mind I planned out my strategy. I got out my lawn mower, electric hedge clippers, a rake, a broom, my edger, a blower, and my garden waste trash can. For the next three hours I worked out my plan and finished the project. The yard turned out exactly how I envisioned it except that Better Homes and Garden has not showed up to admire my yard.

Why am I writing this about my yard. Am I trying to bore you like people do on Facebook with their banal accounts of their every deed? The reason I wrote this is because God spoke to me in the middle of my own difficulties in my life with some tremendous lessons about who God is, how purposeful He is, how diligent He is to accomplish his purposes, and how He will accomplish His purposes for your life.

1. GOD IS PURPOSEFUL
Just as I had envisioned what I desired my yard to look like, God has designed a purpose for your life. Often times it does not seem or feel like it, but that does not change the fact that God has purpose for us. The appearance of my yard did not effect my purpose for it nor does the appearance of your life mean that God has no purpose for it. Remember what the Lord said to Jeremiah about His purpose? ""Before I formed you in the womb I knew you (literally "I loved you") ,and before you were born I consecrated you;I appointed you a prophet to the nations."" (Jeremiah 1:5).

God has plans for you that He made in eternity long before you were even born! "In love he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will" (Ephesians 1:5)

Let your mind reflect upon these truths about God's purpose for your life:

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. " (Jeremiah 29:11)
"I cry out to God Most High,to God who fulfills his purpose for me.He will send from heaven and save me;he will put to shame him who tramples on me." (Psalm 57:2-3)
"The LORD will fulfill his purpose for me" (Psalm 138:8) "For David, after he had served the purpose of God in his own generation, fell asleep and was laid with his fathers" (Acts 13:38)

2. GOD'S PLANS ARE NOT THWARTED BY YOUR PRESENT CIRCUMSTANCES, YOUR SINS, AND YOUR FAILURES

When I looked at my yard and the state that it was in, it meant that I needed to work to get it in the state that I desired it t be. Oh how often we feel like our sins, failures, weakness, inability, roadblocks, obstacles, hindrances, genes, family influences, habits, bondage's, etc. mean that God cannot and will not be able to accomplish His plans. the fact is that all of these are part of the plan not a detour or interruption in the plans and purposes of your loving Father in heaven.

  • "But he knows the way that I take;when he has tried me, I shall come out as gold...For he will complete what he appoints for me,and many such things are in his mind." (Job 23:10,14)
    "When my spirit faints within me,you know my way!" (Psalm 142:3)

    "As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive" (Genesis 50:20)

    No matter things look like know that God is in control and is thoroughly acquainted with you and your life. He is not daunted, discouraged, or defeated about you and your life. Therefore, rest, wait, surrender, and "commit your way to the Lord, trust also in Him." (Psalm 37:4)

    3. GOD IS WORKING RIGHT NOW IN YOUR LIFE NO MATTER WHAT IT LOOKS OR FEELS LIKE

    If you looked at my yard when I was working, there was a point when it was a complete mess. There were branches lying in heaps everywhere, leaves all over the yard, dirt was everywhere, in short, it looked worse than when I started. but in reality progress towards my purpose was being made while I was working. So it is with God. Remember that Jesus said in John 15:1-2, "I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit". Have you ever thought that the Father might be pruning you for more fruit for His glory? Do you feel at the present that you have not progressed in your growth as a Christian? Do you feel that in the midst of your present difficulties that God has abandoned you? Perhaps you feel that you have made a mess of your life. Maybe you have lost a job, a friend or family member, a marriage, a dream, or a ministry. Remember what Jesus and Paul said:

    "My Father is working until now, and I am working." (John 5:17)
    "It is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure," (Philippians 2:13)
    No matter what you see or feel, remind yourself that God is working in your life at this present moment and that you are not alone.

    4. GOD WILL FINISH THE WORK THAT HE BEGAN IN YOU!

    "I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ." (Philippians 1:9)

    There was a time when my yard was finally complete and there is a God appointed time when His work in you will be complete as well. My yard looks very beautiful after all of that work., Can you imagine what your life is going to look like after God finishes His work in you? "For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son" (Romans 8:29).

    So remember this week:
    GOD HAS A PURPOSE AND PLAN FOR YOU
    GOD'S PLANS ARE NOT THWARTED BY YOUR PRESENT CIRCUMSTANCES, YOUR SINS, AND YOUR FAILURES
    GOD IS WORKING RIGHT NOW IN YOUR LIFE NO MATTER WHAT IT LOOKS OR FEELS LIKE
    GOD WILL FINISH THE WORK THAT HE BEGAN IN YOU

"Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways!"For who has known the mind of the Lord,or who has been his counselor?""Or who has given a gift to him that he might be repaid?"For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen.". (Romans 11:33)

Pastor Bill

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Pastor Bill,
Is'nt it wonderful to know that no matter what circumstance we find ourselves in, that God's purpose and plans for us will continue. We often set about dreaming our dreams of what we want to do for God. Then we make plans based on our priorities. What is important is what God plans to do where we are now and how He wants to accomplish it through us. Our plans and purposes must be God's plans and purposes or we will not experience God working through us. God reveals His purposes so we will know what he plans to do. Then we can join Him, and His plans and purposes will stand.
" There are many plans in a man's heart, nevertheless the Lord's counsel-that will stand" Prov. 19:21 May the Lord continue to give you a fuller understanding of the mystery of His divine purpose for your life.
Blessings to you