Friday, April 25, 2014

TRUSTING IN GOD'S VIEW OF THE DEATH OF HIS SON

Hebrews 2:10,"For it was fitting that he, for whom and by whom all things exist, in bringing many sons to glory, should make the founder of their salvation perfect through suffering."

I ask questions of God often these days.  When I ask the question, as I often do, why did God have to send his Son into this world as a human being, and why did God require that Jesus suffer as he did, and why did God believe it necessary that in order to save us and bring us into glory Jesus had to endure the shame and pain and horror of suffering on a cross . I confess I don't understand why it had to be this way. Jesus in my place as my substitute? Bearing God's holy and just wrath? Atoning for my sin? Satisfying God's holy justice? All of my sin imputed upon Him? My ransom price? 

Allot of people now days question or are offended by such a view of the death of Jesus, even among some professing Christians. But how did God feel about what had to be done to secure our salvation? When I ask those kinds of questions, the author of Hebrews tells me: “it was fitting,” or “it was appropriate,” or “it was in perfect harmony with God’s nature and character,” or “it was compatible with God’s intentions to glorify himself,” or some such rendering.
.
In other words, Christianity is what it is because it perfectly expresses the perfections of God. The way in which God has gone about securing your salvation and my salvation is entirely “fitting” and “good” and “proper” and “reasonable”, at least to God’s way of thinking! It is coherent and symmetrical and beautiful and grand. There is nothing illogical or absurd or immoral or unsavory about the way God saved you and me, namely, through the sufferings of his Son, Jesus Christ.

So, I bask in the wonder of Gods brilliance, even when I don't understand. :)
I simply wonder and pray and praise what Paul proclaimed:

Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways! ‘For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been his counselor?’ ‘Or who has given a gift to him that he might be repaid?’ For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen.” Romans 11:33-36 




No comments: