Wednesday, August 27, 2008

LEARNING FROM JONATHAN EDWARDS PASSION FOR SPIRITUAL GROWTH AND PROGRESS

"Grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ..."
2 Peter 3:18 ESV


As anyone who reads this blog knows, Jonathan Edwards is one of the greatest influences in my life. He lived from 1503-1558 in New England as a pastor in nothhampton for 23 years, a missionary in Stockridge for 7 years, and seminary president at Princeton for three months till his untimely and tragic death. He was the prime mover and shaker in the Great Awakening from 1734-1749. I love this man. His works are well worth reading for their inspiration, for his piety, his understanding of God, and his keen theological acumen.

When he was 19 he wrote 70 resolutions for his life. In his 28th resolution he wrote,
Resolved, to study the Scriptures so steadily, constantly and frequently, as that I may find, and plainly perceive myself to grow in the knowledge of the same.

Notice Edwards resolved three things. To study the scriptures: Steadily; Constantly; and Frequently. How did he want to do this? In such a way that as time goes by he could look upon himself as having grown in the understanding of scripture. Edwards would have been very dismayed if after a year of reading and studying the scripture he didn't have a years better grasp on the counsel of God in the Bible that he had the year before.

I wonder if today few of us think in terms like Edwards who really thought in terms of Peter who said in 2 Peter 3:18, "Grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ..."

It is not an option for us to think that we can know enough, have read enough, done enough, or have experienced enough of the Word that we no longer need to grow or that we have arrived.
Edwards wanted to study the scriptures in a way that he could perceive that he was growing.

Listen to his 30th resolution:
Resolved, to strive to my utmost every week to be brought higher in religion, and to a higher exercise of grace, than I was the week before.

What a challenge for us all. Edwards could say "I have an understanding of God this past month and I can say that I have a love and affection for Christ that corresponds with this new knowledge that I have gained that I didn't have a month ago." He was passionate to be sure to be growing and progressing every single day

Edwards 6th resolution was:
Resolved, to live with all my might, while I do live.

His 5th resolution:
Resolved, never to lose one moment of time; but improve it the most profitable way I possibly can.

How many of us coast in our lives. Where is the passion to redeem and buy up time and fill it with productive growing in the grace and knowledge of the Lord. Paul says in
Ephesians 5:15-16, "Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, 16 making the best use of the time (literally:buy up the time), because the days are evil.'

Edwards would fight against coasting by resolving in his 61st resolution:
Resolved, that I will not give way to that listlessness which I find unbends and relaxes my mind from being fully and fixedly set on religion, whatever excuse I may have for it-that what my listlessness inclines me to do, is best to be done, etc


Edwards himself studied 13 hours a day. Now that would get him totally fired from any church today, and we would think that overtly extreme; but however you may think of that, we are all blessed with the fruit of his labor.

Can you and I say that we are growing? Are you thoughts deeper; your love more passionate, your faith stronger than it was last week? Are your affections for Christ proportionate to the knowledge that you have gained of Him? If you asked others, would they speak of your maturing and progressing in the faith?

May we live in obedience to Peter and may we follow the example of Jonathan Edwards who wrote in his 48th resolution:
Resolved, constantly, with the utmost niceness and diligence, and the strictest scrutiny, to be looking into the state of my soul, that I may know whether I have truly an interest in Christ or not; that when I come to die, I may not have any negligence respecting this to repent of.

Longing to grow daily and to be able to perceive and enjoy it for the glory of my Savior,
Pastor Bill




No comments: