Friday, March 7, 2008

GOD IS THE BEGINNING AND END OF THE GOSPEL

Last blog I wrote about John Piper's description of the six aspects of the gospel. What is especially encouraging to me is that God is the beginning and the ending of the Gospel.

First, God is the beginning of the gospel because it was His plan from all eternity:

For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures. (1 Corinthians 15:3)
But the word that is written in their Law must be fulfilled: 'They hated me without a cause.' (John 15:25)
I am not speaking of all of you; I know whom I have chosen. But the Scripture will be fulfilled, 'He who ate my bread has lifted his heel against me.' (John 13:18)
At that hour Jesus said to the crowds, "Have you come out as against a robber, with swords and clubs to capture me? Day after day I sat in the temple teaching, and you did not seize me. 56 But all this has taken place that the Scriptures of the prophets might be fulfilled." (Matthew 26:55-56)
So they said to one another, "Let us not tear it, but cast lots for it to see whose it shall be." This was to fulfill the Scripture which says, "They divided my garments among them, and for my clothing they cast lots." (John 19:24)
But one of the soldiers pierced his side with a spear, and at once there came out blood and water. . . . 36 For these things took place that the Scripture might be fulfilled: "Not one of his bones will be broken." (John 19:34-36)
For truly in this city there were gathered together against your holy servant Jesus, whom you anointed, both Herod and Pontius Pilate, along with the Gentiles and the peoples of Israel, 28 to do whatever your hand and your plan had predestined to take place. (Acts 4:27)

When was this plan made?
All who dwell on earth will worship [the beast], everyone whose name has not been written before the foundation of the world in the book of life of the Lamb who was slain. (Revelation 13:8)
Who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began. (2 Timothy 1:9)


Therefore: part of the gospel is that it was a plan from eternity. This is good news because:
1. God was not taken off guard by the horrific deeds against his Son;
2. Sin and death and hell and Satan are not frustrations of God’s eternal design but fit into it;
3. God’s love for us and his willingness to die for us is not an afterthought but eternally deep in the heart of God;
4. It is all the more clear that the events of the gospel were God’s doing, not historical turns of fate.
5. This all strengthens and deepens our certainty of God’s commitment to us in the gospel


Second, the end of the gospel is God Himself and with that end the gospel promises a supremely happy future.

1 Peter 3:18, "For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God."

Not ultimately, regeneration, or forgiveness of sins, or justification, or adoption, or sanctification. All of those are means to an end. The end of our reason for existence to “Glorify God and enjoy him for ever.”

Father, I desire that they also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory that you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world. (John 17:24)
I made known to them your name, and I will continue to make it known, that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them. (John 17:26)


Piper says, Christ died to give you God, ultimately. Not ultimately prosperity, health, wealth, self-esteem, family, successful church, reunion with deceased loved ones, lawful behavior, forgiveness of sins, removal of wrath, removal of guilt, escape from hell or anything else. He died so that you might see and be everlastingly and increasingly satisfied in all that God is for us in Christ.

We must never forget that the beginning and the end of gospel is God Himself. He is the beginning, the means, and the end and the reason Christ died and rose again.
Pastor Bill

No comments: