Friday, August 31, 2007

AN ENCOURAGEMENT AND INVITATION TO ALL THIRSTY SOULS

I have learned so much from men like John Piper, Jonathan Edwards, and lately, Sam Storms. All three of these men treasure the nature of a God who is utterly self-sufficient in Himself that He is in need of nothing, but instead pours out of His infinite, measureless, abundant, incalculable grace towards those in need like an overflowing fountain, a self replenishing mountain stream, or as Jonathan Edwards describes it to say that "God is an infinite fountain of divine glory and sweetness." Since God is all this and more, the one requirement He has for us is thirst; desperate, insatiable, poverty stricken, Death Valley barren, desert scorching, dry mouthed parched, weak, unable to be satisfied by anything in this world, desperate, earnest, longing, THIRST!

Listen to God's invitation to us:

"Come, everyone who thirsts...Incline your ear, and come to me; hear, that your soul may live."
Isaiah 55:1,3

"If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink." John 7:37

"Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

Sam Storms, in his book Signs of the Spirit writes a wonderful series of bible based invitations that I quote in it's entirety. Read it, pray it, call out to God, bring your thirst to the well and drink freely and deeply and unashamedly to your soul and heart's delight and satisfaction!

Here, then, is how we must come to God, whether to serve him or worship him or enjoy all that he is for us in Jesus:

Come, confessing your utter inability to do or offer anything that will empower God or enrich, enhance, or expand God.

Come, with heartfelt gratitude to God for the fact that whatever you own, whatever you are, whatever you have accomplished or hope to accomplish, is all from him, a gift of grace.

Come, declaring in your heart and aloud that if you serve, it is in the strength that God supplies (1 Pet. 4:10); if you give money, it is from the wealth God has enabled you to earn; if it is praise of who he is, it is from the salvation and knowledge of God that he himself has provided for you in Christ Jesus.

Come, declaring the all-sufficiency of God in meeting your every need. Praise his love, because if he were not loving, you would be justly and eternally condemned. Praise his power, because if he were weak, you would have no hope that what he has promised he will fulfill. Praise his forgiving mercy, because apart from his gracious determination to wash you clean in the blood of Christ, you would still be in your sin and hopelessly lost. So, too, with every attribute, praise him!

Come, with an empty cup, happily pleading: "God, glorify yourself by filling it to overflowing!"

Come, with a weak and wandering heart, joyfully beseeching: "God, glorify yourself by strengthening me to do your will and remain faithful to your ways!"

Come, helpless, expectantly praying: "God, glorify yourself by delivering me from my enemies and troubles!"

Come, with your sin, gratefully asking: "God, glorify yourself by setting me free from bondage to my flesh and breaking the grip of lust and envy and greed in my life!"

Come, with your hunger for pleasure and joy, desperately crying: "God, glorify yourself by filling me with the fullness of joy! God, glorify yourself by granting me pleasures that never end! God, glorify yourself by satisfying my heart with yourself! God, glorify yourself by enthralling me with your beauty . . . by overwhelming me with your majesty . . . by taking my breath away with fresh insights into your incomparable and infinite grandeur! God, glorify yourself by shining into my mind the light of the knowledge of God in the face of Jesus Christ!"

More than ready and eager to COME,
Pastor Bill

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pastor,
My deepest desire is that somehow I do not 'miss' the destiny that God has prepared for me in Christ.
I realize that some Christians totally are unaware of the glorious works that God has prepared for them to do in Christ. Perhaps these people do not seek Him, or are distracted by things in the world, or are unavailable when He tries to talk to them.
Question: Since I desparately desire to fulfil whatever God has called me to do, what kind of prayers should I pray, or things should I do, to help me not to 'miss' my destiny in Christ?

Pastor William Robison said...

My friend be encouraged,
the very fact that you "desperately desire" to fulfill whatever God has called you to do means that you WILL NOT miss your destiny. God has put the desire in your heart and when God puts the desires in our hearts, He will fulfill what He has put in your heart to do. God always gives gives us the ability to do what He calls us to do. That is the precious new covenant promise that God has made to us.

Read, learn, claim as your own,reflect, meditate, and pray the wonderful new covenant promises that too few Christians know and believe! (Deuteronomy 30:6; Ezekiel 11:19-20;36:27; Jeremiah 31:33).

To many Christians today have a low view of a powerful destiny ordaining, destiny calling, destiny working, and destiny fulfilling God. Paul says in Philippians 1:6, "he who began a work in you will finish it!" Read also God's powerful promises that He makes in regard to fulfilling His plans in our lives. (Job 23;13-14;Ephesians 1;11; Isaiah 46;9-10; Daniel 4:35)

Pray the Lord's prayer from Matthew 6:10-12 every day. Pray the scriptures and the promises. Live obediently on what you know, not what you don't. Be faithful in the "Now" things that God gives you to do. Be humble, open, teachable, and live exalt Him and magnify His glory each day.

Remember that "being" is more important than "doing". Keep your relationship with Jesus centered not your calling or ministry. (Matthew 6:33)

Jesus is not looking for workers He is looking for those who desperately need Him to work in them. (2 Chronicles 16:9;Psalm 50;15.

Rest my friend in the arms of a faithful, kind, loving, purposeful, and sovereign God. He will fulfill what He has called you to do, He will lead you, guide you,and I promise you will not miss your destiny! Pastor Bill

Anonymous said...

I believe what you said was very logical. However, think about this,
what if you added a little content? I mean, I don't want to tell you how to run your blog, but what if you added a headline that grabbed people's attention?
I mean "AN ENCOURAGEMENT AND INVITATION TO ALL THIRSTY SOULS"
is a little boring. You should look at Yahoo's home page and watch how they write news titles to get people interested. You might add a related video or a pic or two to get people excited about everything've got to say.

Just my opinion, it would bring your website a little livelier.


Stop by my web blog :: exercises to increase vertical leap