Saturday, June 23, 2007

REFLECTIONS ON THE TASKS AT HAND

"Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called and about which you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses." 1 Timothy 6:12

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith" 2 Timothy 4:7

"No soldier gets entangled in civilian pursuits, since his aim is to please the one who enlisted him." 2 Timothy 2:4

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God." Hebrews 12:1-2

"Do you not know that in a race all the runners compete, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. But I discipline my body and keep it under control,lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified." 1 Corinthians 9:24-27

"It is the hard-working farmer who ought to have the first share of the crops. 7Think over what I say, for the Lord will give you understanding in everything." 2 Timothy 2:6-7

"So with yourselves, since you are eager for manifestations of the Spirit, strive to excel in building up the church." 1 Corinthians 14:12

"According to the grace of God given to me, like a skilled master builder I laid a foundation, and someone else is building upon it. Let each one take care how he builds upon it. For no one can lay a foundation other than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Now if anyone builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw-- each one's work will become manifest, for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed by fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done." 1 Corinthians 3:10-13

"Paul, a servant of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle, set apart for the gospel of God." Romans 1:11

"But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God." Acts 20:24

I am always moved by Paul's mission statement in Acts 20:24, "But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God." I am stirred to remember my task and ministry in this life is to be a soldier, a servant, a farmer, a runner, and a builder.

1.We are called to be soldiers under the leadership of the Lord of Hosts. This reminds us that life is war not play.
2. We are also athletes who are running a race, marathon runners for the long haul, not sprinters for the short haul. It is a long obedience in the same direction.
3. We are builders building up God’s Kingdom.
4. We are farmers sowing seeds in God’s field.
5. We are servants set apart and sent out in sacrificial service by the Lord our master and king.

All of these identities remind us that the Christian life is important and we are called to fight, plant, run, serve, and build steadfastly, consistently, and joyfully whether we are in good times or bad times because we know that all this is not in vain. “Therefore, my beloved brother, be steadfast, immovable, always bounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain” (1 Corinthians 15:58).

Going hard to finish my course and ministry while I live,
Pastor Bill

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pastor Bill,

Recently I have been thinking about this passage which you included in this blog.
"It is the hard-working farmer who ought to have the first share of the crops. 7Think over what I say, for the Lord will give you understanding in everything." 2 Timothy 2:6-7

Although I have been doing the recommended 'thinking' on verse 6, I am not getting the meaning of the farmer's crops relating to the spiritual journey. Please help.

Pastor William Robison said...

Paul is painting three pictures in this section. The explanation for crops is rather quite simple. The main lesson is that hard work will be rewarded in the future. Bearing fruit(i.e. first share of the crops) is the farmers reward for his labor over his fields. By application, seeing the gospel worked out in our lives and sowing the gospels seeds in others lives through diligent, faithful work in faith will not be in vain. That is why faith in God's future grace is so important in regards to daily living and serving.

Anonymous said...

OK, I understand that diligent faithful work for the gospel is not in vain.

Can I assume there is some reward in heaven?