Saturday, May 5, 2007

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FORGIVENESS AS AN END AND AS A MEANS TO AN END

I have stated forgiveness is a benefit of the death of Christ, but the benefit of forgiveness is a means to an end. The ultimate benefit of God's forgiveness is that forgiveness is meant to bring us to God and nothing short of that. 1 Peter 3:18 says, "For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God..."

Often times forgiveness is communicated as an end in itself. For example we are often times told that Christ died to bring us forgiveness. The benefit of forgiveness brings us the removal of guilt, shame, condemnation, depression, right relationships with others, happiness, inner peace, and many other benefits. While that is true, the danger is that we can stop right there with the end of the gospel being forgiveness of sins. If that is the case, then ultimately forgiveness is worthless.

John Piper got me really thinking about this in illustrating with getting mad at my wife. What if I get mad at my wife for something and I raise my voice at her and then do my thing around the house. There is tension in the air. My wife is hurt. I can see it in her countenance and I can feel it in her silence. I know what I must do; I must ask for forgiveness from her. The thing she did was not a big deal but raising my voice and getting mad at her is a big deal. Why do I want her forgiveness? Is it because I feel bad and want to get rid of my feeling bad? Is it because I have a guilty conscience for being a jerk? What I really want forgiveness for is because this marriage was not meant for my wife and I to be estranged by conflict, hurt, and sin, but to be back together and close. I need to ask my wife's forgiveness because I have hurt her and brought a wall between us and I want to be with her and close to her. When I ask forgiveness we are done with this conflict, it is over, we are back together the way things ought to be: close, together, and in love.

That is why Christ died! Can you see why forgiveness is not an end in itself, but rather a means to an end? The reason we have justification, the reason that we have forgiveness is to bring us to God. Oh that we would know God well in seeing that He is the end of all the Gospel is and means for us. Oh that we would show Him well so that in our forgiving others we would magnify and glorify God's forgiveness and so lead them to their souls highest joy and satisfaction; God Himself.

Savoring God as the end of all His benefits,
Pastor Bill

No comments: